Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The latest from Mississippi

I've been slacking on the blogging. The battery in our computer decided to go kaput so it has to be plugged in all the time. Clark loves to unplug it so we haven't been using it as much as we used to. Most of the time the computer sits on the counter in the kitchen where it's not too comfortable to stand and type. Right now Clark is napping, so between shuffling loads of laundry between the washer, dryer and folding them, I'm going to attempt to write a blog.

Our family room has had a complete makeover in the last week. We've never had two living spaces so we only had furniture for the living room when we moved in. We put the futon from the guest room out in the family room and used one of the chairs from the living room so we'd have something to sit on. We spend most of our time in the family room since all of Clark's toys are in there as well as the TV. When we moved in the kitchen, dining room and family room were all painted a color called "Lemon Meringue." It wasn't a bad color, but it didn't go with any of our furniture. We've been waiting years to paint a room a blueish/greenish/grayish color we've loved for a long time. Because we were renting we never had the ability to change the wall color. Since we didn't like the yellow, we decided it was finally our chance to paint and room "our color" as we've started calling it.

Mom, Alison and Caroline came this week to visit. They came to see us, our new home and mostly to see Clark. While they were here we had the crazy idea of painting. They enthusiastically helped (except Caroline didn't paint, but she did make us chocolate chip cookies to keep us going and get some of her homework done). We painted two nights after Clark went to bed and got all three rooms finished (including taping, first and second coat of paint and pictures put back on the wall in less than 8 hours total). Having extra hands made the job go so much faster. A family in the church who have been a huge help to us in moving in and getting settled were getting new living room furniture and offered us a club chair. When they brought it we realized their couch matched our new paint color so we traded the couch we had (that someone else in the church had generously given us when we didn't have any furniture) for their couch. We had purchased a carpet remnant to go in the room so it'd be more cozy, but when we got it home I hated the color. Once we got the "new" furniture the carpet looked good. So, in a matter of four days our family room has had a complete transformation. I am sitting in the comfy club chair with my feet propped up on the ottoman as I write. I thank God for generous people who have helped make our house feel more like a home.

Since the beginning of July when we started all the moving craziness Clark's behavior has been horrible. He used to be so sweet but he has begun screaming (high pitch, shrill, leave your ears ringing screaming) anytime he doesn't like how something is going. It makes me blood pressure rise immediately. He has become so stubborn and doesn't the opposite of anything I ask him to do. I have tried to be consistent with discipline and have tried everything I know to discourage his bad behavior and encourage good behavior. I wish I could report that we have found the magic trick and he's a perfect little angel. Of course if I said that you'd know I was lying. What I have learned is how much I need grace in my parenting. I don't feel like I have a clue what I'm doing and whatever I instinctively want to do usually doesn't work. I've taught school for 8 years and dealt with lots of badly behaved children, but it's a different story when it's my own child and I have him 24/7. Obviously I've been deceiving myself all this time thinking I had patience. I have learned that I have none. I see my own sinfulness so much more clearly as I try to deal with Clark. I also have a greater appreciation for my Heavenly Father who has patience with me when I continually disobey. He doesn't get mad and yell at me when I do the same things over and over. He never refuses to forgive because he's too frustrated with my behavior. While I wish my efforts in parenting would start having some effect on my child's behavior I am thankful for the way God is teaching me about my own heart and drawing me to himself through my own shortcomings and my child's disobedience.

It sounds like my next load of laundry is done and Clark is awake, so I'll sign off for now. These were just a few random updates from life in Mississippi.

Oh, and I don't think it's quite sunk in with this Florida girl that I am a resident of Mississippi now, but just today we got a Mississippi license plate for one of the cars and I'm getting my driver license switched over today or tomorrow so I guess that will make it more real. So far I like Mississippi and I thank God for the wonderful people we've met. He has provided for us far beyond our expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment